The Lima area was not safe from the increased crime rate of the 1930s.
In 1933, gangster John Dillinger was in the Allen County Jail, arrested for robbing the Citizens National Bank in nearby Bluffton.
The charter sought to establish professional management, requiring the commissioners to hire a city manager, who reported to the mayor.
Lima proved itself to be very much in the Progressive tradition with these changes, after flirting with radicalism in 1912 when the voters elected a Socialist mayor.
The name "Lima" was reputedly chosen in a nod to the Peruvian capital which, during the 1800s, was a major source of quinine, an anti-malaria drug for which there had been a demand in the region, an area known as the Great Black Swamp. Also in 1854, a cholera outbreak in Delphos (a town in Allen County northwest of Lima) spread throughout west central Ohio.
Since 1831, Lima has been the center of government for Allen County, the first of its three courthouses erected in the city's first year. Countywide problems caused by the contaminated water supply were not solved until 1886 when Lima started a municipal water system.
On August 1, 1923, a KKK parade in Lima drew a crowd estimated at 100,000 people.
Economically, the 1920s were a time of industrial expansion in Lima. built the "Lima A-1", a 2-8-4 model that became the prototype for the modern steam locomotive. It became the world's largest producer of school buses and funeral coaches within two decades. Allen County's population grew significantly faster than the state during the Great Depression. The citizens adopted a "strong mayor" model to replace the city manager of the 1920s.
The thirties were a decade for organizing labor in Lima.After World War I, Allen County's population growth lagged the state and the nation.Galvin was an assistant superintendent at the Peru Steel Casting Co. He then became acting manager at American Steel Foundries in Pittsburgh.The municipality is located in northwestern Ohio along Interstate 75 approximately 72 miles (116 km) north of Dayton and 78 miles (126 km) south-southwest of Toledo.As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 38,771.